Re: [OM] Panny 14-42 X [was Purse and/or Camera [was More ...

Subject: Re: [OM] Panny 14-42 X [was Purse and/or Camera [was More ...
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 14:52:01 -0700
On 3/18/2013 12:13 AM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
> The GF2 and 14-42mm is my standard cycling outfit. W

Probably not the lens to which I refer. The GF2 kit includes this lens.
<http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/standard.html#i_014-042mm_f035-056_panasonic>
Scroll down to the next entry, the "X lens" that I have been talking about, an
exceptionally compact, slightly odd lens.
It has their new coating tech, an improved OIS system, push tabs for zoom and
focus, rather than rings and extends and
contracts under power when the camera body is turned on and off.

Depending on whose tests you read, it is slightly better or not quite as good
optically as the preceding 14-45 and the
14-42 I presume you have.

But no on to the real issue. :-)

> what is the "1/160 & 1/200 shutter speed issue"? Never heard of it.

That you have never heard of it simply shows that you ignore the long, boring,
techie posts/discussions here. :-)

Since the inception of µ4/3, there have been voices crying out in the
wilderness about blurry images in a certain range
of shutter speeds. I noticed something odd going on when I got my E-M5, which
turns out to have been the same thing.

The problem has been variously attributed to several things, individually or in
combination, including particular lenses
at particular settings, Panny in-lens IS, Oly in-body IS, shutters, etc.
Because posts on the web have an indefinite,
sometimes apparently infinite, life, it's still easy to run across such noise.

Some folks, however have tracked it all down to shutter vibration. On an ILC
with all mechanical shutter, there are four
separate shutter actions to make an exposure. The shutter closes for sensor
reset, opens and closes to make the exposure
and opens again for live view. Whether it is the first and/or second action
that causes the trouble, I don't know,
although there are claims that it's the first closing.

The range of shutter speeds where the effect has been noted is 1/20-1/200, but
"The actual risk of shutter shock and the
exact shutter speed range affected vary considerably with camera and lens makes
and models."

It's been pretty well documented by now that this is a real effect. Oly, at
least, was aware of it from early on, and
provided a work around deep in the extended menus which they then proceeded to
gloss over in their camera instructions.
More on this in another post.

For the way you display images, always full frame, and at modest web sizes, I
imagine it is seldom, if ever, visible.
For those who print large and/or pixel peep, it is pretty obvious. A few people
have documented it on the web. There
are probably other examples than these, but they make the point:

About shutter shock on a Panny GH2.
<http://cameraergonomics.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/micro-four-thirds-shutter-shake.html#more>

A very through article on E-M5 with 12-50 lens, which defines the issue
clearly, investigates the effectiveness of the
Oly Anti-Shock settings and has good example images.
<http://cameraergonomics.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/micro-43-shutter-shock-revisited-omd-em.html>

Tests of Panny GX1, Oly E-P3 and E-M5. As he makes no mention of it, I think
the author was not aware of the Oly
Anti-Shock settings and I assume they were not used. This may explain why it
wasn't immediately aware of what was wrong
with some of my E-M5 images, as it has much less of a problem than the Panny.
<http://www.wlcastleman.com/equip/reviews/pz14-42/shutter_lens.html>

In this test of the "X" lens on a G3, the tester found "There is an issue with
this lens when used at the 1/160 or 1/200
shutter speed setting, hand-holding a camera; images produced seem to have an
induced blurriness to them, with or
without image stabilization employed. This blurriness does not occur when the
camera is locked down to a tripod."
<http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1458/cat/69>

This differs from the problems over a wider shutter speed range, both hand held
and on a good tripod, with different
camera and lenses above. Obviously, there is a lot of variation across
camera-lens combinations.

I know essentially nothing about the extensive range of Panny µ4/3 bodies. I'm
not aware of any efforts on their part to
minimize this effect. But I imagine both manufacturers would be extremely
reluctant to highlight the problem by talking
up their cure on later models. That's certainly been true of Oly.

In any case, if you aren't having a problem, not to worry. :-)   Other than
perhaps for fast moving sports, for which
they are not ideal anyway, all the Pens, from at least the E-PL1 on, and the
E-M5, easily avoid the problem with a
simple menu setting.

Shutter Shocked Moose