Re: [OM] Some new orchid photos and random complaining

Subject: Re: [OM] Some new orchid photos and random complaining
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 18:01:53 -0500
On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 2:00 AM, Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm not sure that you meant that, Joel.  I don't think that any of your
> readers finds you tedious.

Yes, Chris, I suppose one quits a tedious note about the time it grows
tedious, not when the writer fears it.

There are some nice shots there: I prefer the smaller clumps, for their
> photographic appeal rather than for the flowers themselves :-)

Good point.  Some isolation seems very important, both within the plane of
focus and against the background.  I try to "manage the background" as much
as possible, but still there are always surprises, both good and bad.
 Photography would not be as fun to me with surprises, but I like the good
surprises better!

And I reckon you've done a good job with that kit lens.

Well, thank you.  I was wrong in calling it the 45-150.  It is 40-150, the
same FL as the M.Zuiko 40-150, but for the E system.  I believe we can see
where the MFT 40-150 that Moose and others like so well got its chops.
 Maybe next year I shall have one of those cute little E-MDs and a smaller
40-150 to try out on orchids!  I know that it is off-putting in principle
that the lens is so slow at f4.5-5.6, but that really is OK at the focal
length.  My standard stop with the DZ 50-200 is f7.1 or 8.  Any shallower
and not enough of the flower is in focus.

Joel W.