Re: [OM] Some new orchid photos and random complaining

Subject: Re: [OM] Some new orchid photos and random complaining
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 16:52:03 -0700
On 3/18/2013 4:01 PM, DZDub wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 2:00 AM, Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> ... And I reckon you've done a good job with that kit lens.
> Well, thank you.  I was wrong in calling it the 45-150.  It is 40-150, the
> same FL as the M.Zuiko 40-150, but for the E system.  I believe we can see
> where the MFT 40-150 that Moose and others like so well got its chops.

Not me, dood. :-) I have one, as part of my obsessive interest in redundancy -
and 'cause it only cost $100. But I've
only ever tried it out to make sure it worked. When I travel, it's not in the
active kit, but in the back-up stuff bag
in my luggage.

As to 40-150 chops, the M.Z lens has a different optical formula. Oly had to
redesign lenses for µ4/3 with both
different motor systems and smaller, lighter focusing elements to achieve fast
focusing with contrast detect AF and make
them quiet for video. That's what the "MSC" designation is about. Not saying
the M.Z 40-150 is or isn't a great lens,
just that it doesn't inherit it's optical formula from the older one.

> Maybe next year I shall have one of those cute little E-MDs and a smaller
> 40-150 to try out on orchids! I know that it is off-putting in principle
> that the lens is so slow at f4.5-5.6, but that really is OK at the focal
> length.  My standard stop with the DZ 50-200 is f7.1 or 8.  Any shallower
> and not enough of the flower is in focus.

I agree that one needs small apertures for such flowers, unless looking for
special, shallow DOF effects. With the light
you had and an E-M5, lens speed would not an issue anyway, with the high ISO
performance.

The 14-150 is my main lens. It gets significantly closer than the 40-150s and
I've been quite happy with IQ from it. If
I were going to a show like that, I'd also have the 12-50 along for it's
excellent Macro function. The µ4/3 lenses are
so small and light that carrying more than one isn't a burden. Rather the
opposite of 180/2.8 on 5D. :-)

Flowery Moose