Re: [OM] Camera purchase advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Camera purchase advice
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 20:45:58 -0700
On 3/20/2013 7:36 PM, Don Holbrook wrote:
> I have a friend who needs a new camera for action shots (formerly used
> Casio).  $600 price range, interchangeable lens, optical or EVF, 8 frame
> burst rate or more, subject distance 40 - 100 feet, IS, usually crops
> subject.  Any suggestions on what he should look at? (or not).  Thanks in
> advance.

Price range and performance requirements appear incompatible with good quality
results. What sort of subjects? Moving
how fast? What sort of light?

Do you have examples of what this person has found good up 'til now?

If a Casio was being used, either the results must have been less than ideal or
the subjects aren't as difficult as
implied above. What Casio? Might one simply match its basic specs with those of
a more contemporary camera?

What focal lengths, f-stops and shutter speeds are common? Moving to a camera
with interchangeable lenses generally
means greater cost and/or shorter focal length range. A lot of decent lenses
for what appears to be a long focal length
requirement (lots of cropping) cost more than the budget by themselves.

Or is he using a short range zoom and cropping where a longer lens would mean
less cropping?

It's not so much that I am curious for myself, or all that likely to have
useful suggestions. Just pointing out how far
from sufficient information is provided.

Insufficient Data Moose