Re: [OM] Camera purchase advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Camera purchase advice
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 11:27:38 -0400
What Moose said, insufficient information.  But while waiting for more I
decided to see what sort of technology Casio offered.  I first went to
DPReview and discovered they hadn't tested a Casio camera since 2007 and
the cameras they had tested were fairly ordinary P&S types.  So I then
went to Casio's US site where I learned that Casio no longer imports
camera into the US (maybe the UK too and the reason DPReview hasn't
tested anything in 6 years?).

But I did discover that Casio had a camera archive page and located 3
cameras more sophisticated than simple P&S types.  The latest and most
advanced of these is the EX-P700
<http://www.casio.com/products/archive/Digital_Cameras/Exilim_Pro/EX-P700/>
  From the specs on the Canon made lens (7.1-28.4/2.8-4), if I assume
this is a 2/3" sensor with 4X crop factor (possibly a Minolta A1/A2
contemporary), the equivalent 35mm focal length range is approx
28-113mm.  The sensor is 7MP with base ISO 80 and increases in full
stops to a max of 640.

Not very sophisticated so far but it does have a couple of very
interesting features.  There is an optical viewfinder and a phase detect
focus assist *window* (on the  that works together with the contrast
detect focus mechanism to provide faster focus.  The two together are
apparently not very fast since it says that pressing the shutter button
fully without waiting for a focus good signal at the 1/2 way point will
engage only the phase detect function.  Sounds like auto focus may not
be very accurate in action shots.  Unfortunately, the manual says
nothing about the optical viewfinder except to caution about parallax
error for images closer than 3.3 meters.  There is no indication about
whether the finder zooms or the accuracy of its coverage.

It shouldn't be at all difficult to beat the performance of this camera
but a DSLR with phase detect auto foucs seems to be needed for fast
focusing with action photography.  As we know already even the E-M5
doesn't seem to be fully up to the task of fast action photography.  But
meeting the price point of $600 will dictate a used camera and likely a
single lens.  Even the just released (inexpensive) Canon EOS SL1 is $800
with a kit lens with less zoom range.

Chuck Norcutt