Re: [OM] Attn: Ken - OT - new Bon Jovi album

Subject: Re: [OM] Attn: Ken - OT - new Bon Jovi album
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 08:49:07 -0500
On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 8:29 AM, Charles Geilfuss <
charles.geilfuss@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>   Did not Phil Specter do the same thing back in the 60's so his hit
> songs would sound "good" on crappy AM car radios?
>
> Charlie

The way I understand things... to a degree.  A lot of songs from the golden
era of rock'n'roll on AM were mixed with the frequency response of AM in
mind - mostly mids and some highs, not much low end.  But the mastering
thing wasn't as bad, since radio stations all have compressors, like the
OptiMod, in the transmitter audio chain to keep everything at an even
level.  Often it was the station's engineer, under direction from the owner
or GM, who set the main station compressor on "stun" so that his station
would stand out on the dial when tuning across the frequencies.
--

Paul Braun
Music Junkie

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life." -- Harlan Howard