Re: [OM] Lessons Learned

Subject: Re: [OM] Lessons Learned
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 21:57:51 -0400
Remember that the file system is still Microsoft FAT32.  Small file
clusters and lots of space but (eventually) still subject to the same
old fragmentation problems as all earlier versions of FAT.  If you
merely delete files you will eventually cause fragmentation.  It might
take a very long time on a 32GB device but it will eventually get there.
  Performance will also suffer although not as bad as on a mechanical
disk.  Erasing a file and allocating space within a fragmented disk are
also much more complex operations.  When voting on simplicity vs
complexity simplicity will likely be more reliable in the end.

Dr (Flash) Disk always advises formatting in camera vs erasing images.
He also recommends an occasional full format in the computer since it
will verify correct operation of all parts of the card.  Follow that
with format in camera to install folders the camera is expecting to see.

Dr. (Flash) Disk