[OM] (OT) The Road Ahead

Subject: [OM] (OT) The Road Ahead
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 15:21:29 -0400
So, most of you heard about and some of you may recall all the health problems
we've had to deal with concerning No. 2 son over the years, the most critical
time being 2008-2012.

It would appear all of that is behind us for the moment. Ben's never been
better, and all his docs are most pleased with his status.

Joan and I have started talking about taking A Trip, something we have not been
able to do since our London sojourn in 2006. When I asked her where she'd like
to go, her rather prompt response was "Scotland." So it would seem that if The
Trip happens, it will be to Scotland. (I would choose motorcycling in the Alps,
but I believe I would face some stiff opposition, and besides, my riding skills
may not be honed enough at this point to tackle the Alps.)

So, I know we have a list members intimately familiar with that part of the UK
who might be willing to answer some questions.

First, the talk is either mid to late September 2013, or late May 2014. We're
already starting to lean toward late May 2014 to give us time for proper
preparation. Of course there's a bit of a maverick inside me that says just buy
the tickets and go and to hell with preparation. They speak a variety of
English. The whisky is good and the scenery is awfully pretty. What's to plan?

My notion of September had to do with avoiding the high-high tourist season and
perhaps find some elbow room, especially as part of the plan is to rent a car
and see if we can survive that whole driving on the left thing. But then it
occurred to me that Scotland is a bit to the north, and a check of the records
shows that there's considerably less sunlight in late September than in late
May. It's cooler as well. But my guess is there's also more people in late May
(and perhaps more biting bugs as well?). London certainly was packed to
capacity in late May, early June, but then it's a big honking' city, and packed
is normal and in some cases charming and picturesque.

We're also thinking between just riding around and staying somewhere different
every night, or using the list to help us find two strategically located
holiday rentals to act as headquarters from which to venture forth on day
trips. The whole island thing is very appealing, too.

So, oh you of vast knowledge, is this enough information to elicit advice,
hints and suggestions? I should add that my cousin-in-law, who is like a sister
to my daughter-in-law, is married to a Scotsman, and they have a whiskey
business in Huntly. ( http://www.singlemaltsdirect.com ) It is remotely
possible that we may be able to spend some or all of our time there, thus
resulting in massive savings. An iffy proposition at best, but not outside the
realm of possibility. They spend most of their time in Los Angeles, and so
could be a perfect thing. (Also, I noticed on a map that Huntly is not far from
Peterhead, and I must say that Peterhead quickly became a MUST VISIT on The
Trip. One must have a photograph of one's self standing beside the sign that
says "Welcome to Peterhead".)

Of course, meetings  with list members would be high on my list as well. Should
we consider a gathering, with attendees throwing in to rent some awesome
location in the Highlands for a few days, with wives, SOs and other companions
included? Good weather: hike around, take pictures, drink, swap lies. Bad
weather: sit around, drink, swap lies.

Awaiting Wisdom,

--Bob