Re: [OM] sticky bellows?

Subject: Re: [OM] sticky bellows?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 16:42:15 -0400
I'm not sure I understand your question "... is it normal for the
bellows to stick to itself ... and the release upon extension...".
I was doing OK up until "release upon extension" as I didn't understand
that.  But, if you're asking if it's normal for the bellows material to
stick to itself as it goes from compressed to extended I would say no.

I haven't checked my bellows in a year or two but the last time I put it
away it was fine.  On the other hand, the faux leather on the outside of
the 3 pocket lens insert that's inside the OM compartment case M
<http://olympus.dementix.org/eSIF/om-sif/casegroup/compartment_case_m.htm>turned

into black goo on my case many years ago.  Just goes to show that some
materials that Olympus used do not last indefinitely.

It's possible the material is breaking down with age or that someone
tried to clean it with something incompatible.  In any case I wouldn't
describe that bellows as KEH EX or even KEH BGN and think you should
consider returning it.

As to the friction imposed by the lock knobs I think it's probably OK
that you can push them with your finger.  I think the definitive test is
whether it can hold a large macro lens solidly in position when the
bellows is vertical.  If it can't then the friction is not good enough.
  One problem with the bellows is that the nylon slides can crack.  Mine
had a couple of cracks several years ago and I got new slides from John
Hermanson.

Chuck Norcutt