Re: [OM] A rental car for Scotland

Subject: Re: [OM] A rental car for Scotland
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 20:35:47 -0400
The link again
<http://www.chucknorcutt.com/Scotland%20selections%20for%20Colleen/index.htm>

The first 5 shots are Dunfermline Abbey.  We discovered Dunfermline
quite by accident by choosing to stop there for lunch (excellent
restaurant directly adjoining the public parking lot... recommended).
Shot #4 is the grave of Robert the Bruce (under the pulpit).

The next 4 shots are Edinburgh Castle (interesting but busy)

The next 6 (up to the Britannia's bell) are scenes around Edinburgh.
The group of young girls with luggage are a "hen party" who had just
gotten off the train.  In the UK a "hen party" is a bride and her
bride's maids dressed in silly clothing and out on the town before the
wedding.  They were surprised that "hen parties" (at least by that name)
are unknown in the US.  The big hill (250 meters) is "Arthur's Seat".
This is actually a pano (6 shots at 40mm) and lots of people can be seen
walking up its trails in the full size image.

The next three (starting with the bell) are aboard HM Yacht Britannia.
Showing living (party) quarters and the engine room.  Interesting, good
view of the waterfront and not very crowded.

The next 3 (including the coffee) are at the Royal Botanic Gardens in
Edinburg (highly recommended).  Beautiful and hardly any one there.

The next 3 are St. Giles Cathedral.  Photography forbidden... probably
due to flash.  Impressive organ pipes no flash, ISO 3200, 40mm f/3.5 and
no one bothered me. :-)

The next 5 are the Falkirk Wheel.  Not terribly busy, impressive
engineering.

The next 5 are shots taken on a walk around Glasgow, all within easy
walking distance of our hotel which was next to the train station and
close to the river Clyde.

The next shot is our hotel on the waterfront and across the bay from the
Britannia and is easily seen from the ship.  The next shot is a cruise
ship departing Edingburg and taken from our hotel window.

The next 4 are some of the countryside on a day trip between Glasgow and
Oban passing by Lock Lomond and Loch Fyne.  The little building on a
hill is an outlook post above Inverary.

The next 2 are the car park and the waterfront in Oban.  How many places
you ask have an unfinished replica of the Colliseum?  Oban does.
Supposedly done to keep the stone masons employed.  Also has mighty fine
whisky.  The distillery and tour were closed when we were there but we
could still buy the product.

The next two are St. Andrews (town and original castle)

And the last 9 are Stirling Castle.  We enjoyed that much more than
Edinburgh Castle and it wasn't very crowded.  Note the tan colored
buildings which is what proper castles are supposed to look like.
Stirling Castle is in the process of being restored to include the
stucco that used to cover the stones.

There are many hundreds of images with many of them never even processed
from raw.  These aren't necessarily the best.  They're just a response
to some specific questions asked by our friends in London.

Chuck Norcutt