Re: [OM] IMG: Poppy Bloom Redux

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Poppy Bloom Redux
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 07:06:09 -0500
On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 9:54 PM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 3/26/2013 6:02 AM, Bob Whitmire wrote:
> > Correct. But you can do it with the clarity slider in ACR, too. But for
> best results, you need LR4 or CS6. Clarity slider much improved. And by
> much, I mean MUCH!
>
> Darn, I suppose I may have to try it some day. So stuck in my ways, with
> Actions set to do so many of the things I
> normally do with PS.

Give it a try in Bridge.  I suspect it is exactly as in LR.  That will
rough it in and you can still use your spiffy action later to bring it to
Moosey perfection.

> > On Mar 25, 2013, at 3:13 PM, Piers Hemy wrote:
> >
> >> Agreed, Tina, but LCE does not require LR, it can be done very simply
> in PS.
> >> On thinking about it, I suspect that the Unsharp Mask is a darkroom
> >> technique carried over (with the terminolgy which is oddly meaningless
> for a
> >> purely digital worker) into PS.
>
> Yes. A duplicate negative was sandwiched with the original on the two
> sides of a glass plate. The original, on the
> bottom, was places in focus. The blurred image of the upper neg. increased
> the contrast only around sharp, relatively
> high contrast edges.
>
> The thickness of the glass controlled the width of the sharpening halo.
>
> >> To my way of thinking LCE is simply USM applied in a subtle way.
>
> I imagine the Clarity sliders in the latest ACR/LR may have been tuned to
> minimize
> these effects?

Not in my experience.  You want to watch the histogram in Bridge and if you
like the effect be prepared to pull down the exposure slider a mite.  I
guess I like some headroom and prefer clipping to the points with levels in
PS.

Your being back now explains a certain listlessness (not to mention bad
puns) on the list, despite some wonderful images posted.  To get to the
latter, you're stuck sifting through the former.

Joel (I had nothing to do with it, mostly) W.