[OM] Sharpening Monkeywrench [was Big Sharp and Little Sharp I [was New

Subject: [OM] Sharpening Monkeywrench [was Big Sharp and Little Sharp I [was New panorama up]]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 14:08:42 -0700
On 4/1/2013 7:02 AM, Tina Manley wrote:
> Chuck, I have all three of PhotoKit's programs as listed here:
>
> http://www.pixelgenius.com/products.html
>
> If you click on the product page for each program, it will tell you what is
> included.  The $99 PhotoKit Sharpener is just sharpening software and has
> automatic capture, output, and creative sharpening.

1. I have not used this app. It is my experience that automatic, or one size
fits all, sharpening is not ideal for all
subjects and situations. According to the blurb, PKS is also adjustable.

2. Potentially more significant is that deconvolution sharpening has become
available since this app was created. Note
the dates of the laudatory quotes on the web page, all quite a few years old.
Simple comparisons have led me to switch
from USM based sharpening tools to deconvolution based tools for all my
'capture' sharpening and virtually all post
downsampling re-sharpening. I don't know about printing, having done so very
little for a long time.

One may argue theory, but my choice is entirely pragmatic, what looks best.

Existential Moose