Re: [OM] OT - Software bloat

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - Software bloat
From: Sandy Harris <sandyinchina@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 16:51:04 -0400
A friend worked for a medium-size bank in the 60s, programming in assembler
on an IBM mainframe. You need written permission from someone way up the
hierarchy to use more than 32 K of core for the code portion of any
program. He was the only one he knew that had that permission, because his
program really needed 40-odd K. It was the database management system that
all the other applications used.

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 4:19 PM, Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In the old days, software had to be tight and efficient because computers
> had tiny amounts of ram, and with the stratospheric prices for upgrades,
> most customers weren't likely to add that extra 8 megabytes of RAM just to
> run your app.
>
> Nowadays, when I can get 64 GIGABYTES of RAM for right around $440,
> software architects figure that if the new version requires more ram to be
> useful, I'll just log into Newegg and order up another pair of SO-DIMMS.
>
> When I graduated from college (university for you "across the ponders") in
> 1984, RAM was $1330 per megabyte.  Now, that is enough to stuff 64gigabytes
> into three separate computers.
>
> --
>
> Paul Braun
> Music Junkie
>
> "Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life." -- Harlan Howard
> --

Who put a stop payment on my reality check?