Re: [OM] FRIDAY FLOWER

Subject: Re: [OM] FRIDAY FLOWER
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2013 21:18:11 -0700
On 4/5/2013 5:27 PM, DZDub wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 5:31 PM, Rick Beckrich <ribec@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> With apologies to my senior, who may have coined the phrase.
>>
>> http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=4149
> I've been using crocuses to test my E-400.  I find that color to be very
> tough to capture and have the result resemble what I saw.  Purples too.  I
> am having better luck with the purple crocuses using the E-400.  I was
> going to work on the yellow-orange ones today, but a deer ate 'em.  Maybe
> just as well for my sanity.

Watch that red channel! When it clips, it throws the color off. No matter how
good the color of the sensor/processor,
blown channels cause trouble. Rick's Crocuses have quite a bit of blown red
channel.

Pure yellows are a bit more forgiving, but some purples just go weird, and it
may not be obvious why. The red channel
can go off even when the flowers don't look all that bright.

If overexposed for red, pulling the highlights down in conversion may or may
not work. IF they pull down as a big spike
just below the top, they still may be off.

I don't know where the sweet spot for the E-400 may be. With a camera with low
noise, it's always good to shoot low ISO
and bracket lower in EV than you can imagine might be right. One of those dark
looking ones, with the midtones brought
back up, may be really sweet!

Channeling Red Moose