Re: [OM] New Mamiya 6 photo: Abandoned House awaiting demolition

Subject: Re: [OM] New Mamiya 6 photo: Abandoned House awaiting demolition
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2013 23:28:44 -0500
On 4/7/13 18:45 : , Chris Crawford wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> Gary is really a dangerous place. It has one of the highest murder rates
> in the USA; for several years it had the HIGEST. The city has no middle
> class at all, and white people are really not welcome there. I have no
> fear of taking pictures in the worst neighborhoods in Fort Wayne (a city
> with nearly 3 times Gary's population) or Indianapolis (A city 10 times
> the size of Gary). I would not show my face in Gary, especially with a
> camera.
>
> There is no place in Australia even close to Gary. It is far more
> dangerous than other notorious high crime cities like Detroit, Compton,
> Camden, and Memphis.

Chris is correct.  The only part of downtown Gary I'm willing to risk is
the area right around the minor-league baseball park, and only because
it's right off of the highway.  Two blocks further than that, and you're
into serious ghetto.  I've actually witnessed a high-speed car chase
along the road that passes just south of the ballpark - two cars weaving
across 4 lanes, one trying to run the other off the road.  Just lucky
there was no gunfire.

I did sneak some photos of two Frank Lloyd Wright-designed homes in the
Western part of Gary several years back - that's also the neighborhood
where Finley lived.  Probably the only section I'd be willing to sneak
back into, but only for a few quick shots and then out.  A strange white
guy with a camera taking photos of houses is not something likely to be
met with tolerance.

--

Paul Braun
Certified Music Junkie

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life" - Harlan Howard