Re: [OM] IMG: Rainy Day Project - Now Just for Chuck

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Rainy Day Project - Now Just for Chuck
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2013 14:46:01 -0700
On 4/6/2013 1:48 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
> Hi Moose,
>
> I have never found a difference in noise between ISO values of 100 and 200
> with the E-1.

Try a shot like that at both. You aren't likely to see the ISO 200 noise in
bright areas, or in small, dark areas in
bright images, or in detailed areas. It's in large, relatively featureless
areas, like the dark book covers and the
shadowy area, upper right, where it shows up.

Not that it's awful, or anything, but if using a tripod anyway, why not use the
best ISO?

> Somewhere, I seem to recall, it was said that 200 was the design ISO.  I
> could be wrong.

You may not be wrong, in that you may well have read that. Anyone may post
anything they like on the web.

Then, fortunately, there are folks who go to the trouble to measure things like
that. The measurements dpreview did for
their review show definitely lower noise at ISO 100. It is perhaps easier to
see in the graphs than the samples.
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse1/15>

I recall this clearly, as the visible noise difference, also seen in the
graphs, between the E-1 and the Canon 10D was
one of the factors that led me to go with a 300D (Same sensor system as 10D),
rather than an E-1 for my first DSLR.

Noisily Informative Moose