Re: [OM] Legacy glass on e-system cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] Legacy glass on e-system cameras
From: "philippe.amard" <philippe.amard@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 11:30:29 +0200
As stated the canon issue is well known and documented.
On the Olies we've had - E400, 410, 510 & 620, and the Panas L1 & G1,
using manual legacy lenses was no issue as to exposure - I have used,
Leica, Angénieux and Canon FD glass with no problem.
My D700 also fares quite well with a summicron or a macro-elmarit
using a $10 chinese F mount - but this of course requires removing the
original R or whatever mount.

Using center weighted or better spot might help though, as the 4/3s
don't use all the glass acreage available - this might be the cause of
your disappointment particularly when using the extender.

Hope this helps.

Ph

Le 10 avr. 13 à 11:18, Moose a écrit :

> On 4/9/2013 5:30 PM, NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:
>> I'm sure I am doing something wrong, however can't sort it out.
>> I'm  using
>> my Tamron SP 300mm f2.8 with a Tamron 2X teleconverter (the proper
>> one for
>> the lens and when I set the camera for A everything is
>> overexposed.  When I
>>  set it for M and make the adjustments to show a good exposure, the
>> same
>> over  exposed results occur.  I'm shooting at ISO 100.  Any ideas?
>> I  can
>> monkey with it and shoot what would be a gross under exposure  and
>> get  good
>> results however shouldn't have to do it that way.
>
> This is a well known problem. Although they were rightly criticized
> for not producing an OM to 4/3 adapter promptly, Oly
> did have at least one legitimate reason. When they did release it,
> they also released a list of lenses and aperture
> ranges they considered usable with it.
>
> As I long ago documented here, Daryl confirmed in this thread and
> others have observed, adapted lenses on Canons have
> similar problems. It's also why you will find menu settings for
> screens in interchangeable view screen cameras and
> series 2 OM screens read incorrectly on early bodies. Reading
> exposure off a (D)SLR view screen may require knowledge of
> the nature of the screen, the focal length of the lens and the
> aperture of the lens.
>
> I recall that people used to make reference tables, showing EV
> correction necessary for each f-stop of each lens.
>
> I had a similar problem recently with a 600/8 lens on Canons. The
> meter readings gave almost three stops of
> overexposure. When I put an AF chipped adapter on this lens that
> reports the focal length and aperture to the body, both
> manual and auto exposure became correct.
>
> With chipped adapters now really cheap, that's the best way to
> correct the problem, if they make them for 4/3. Buy one,
> set it to the focal length and max. aperture of the lens and just
> leave it on.
>
> Cameras that read exposure directly off the film/sensor, from OM-2s
> to some live view DSLRs to ILCs, don't have this
> problem.
>
> Adaptable Moose
>
> --
> --

to the eye. Antoine de Saint Exupéry in Le Petit Prince.
NO ARCHIVE