[OM] Comparing E-400 and E-410 Photos

Subject: [OM] Comparing E-400 and E-410 Photos
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 10:20:46 -0500
This is so interesting to me.

I am finding it difficult to compare the output of the E-400 and E-410.  I
thought I had a great way of doing so.  I set up a photo with the DZ 50-200
on tripod, shot it with one body, then switched out the body and shot it
with the other body.  In my first test sequence, I used Auto mode with all
other settings identical.  I bracketed at exposure comp settings of 0, -.3,
and -7.

*  First, the E-410 exposure at the same stop was twice as fast as the E-400
*  Secondly, I didn't like either exposure at 0 exp comp, but the E-410 at
-.3, which I liked the best, compared most favorably with the E-400 at -.7.
*  Thirdly, with both cameras in Auto with no exp comp, output of the E-400
is a little brighter and more open in the mid-range than the E-410, but the
E-410 holds the highlights a little better.

I decided to go back to the drawing-board and set up a shot in a bit
more controlled location.  Here is the first set of comparisons that
*might* be meaningful:

E-400:  http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=4324
E-410:  http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=4326

To me, the E-400 shot looks more neutral with a more natural color balance.
 Both cameras were set to auto WB +1 Red -- though I don't think this
setting matters except for jpgs or if your raw converter is Viewer.  I left
the WB setting in Camera Raw "as shot".  I think if I had changed it to
"auto" in ACR, the result might have been closer color-wise.  I really
don't like the 410 color compared to the 400, but I believe that it is
something that could be brought into closer approximation through a
combination of camera settings and ACR settings.

I think there are less obvious differences that are more important.  it
appears to me that Olympus tuned the exposure system to hold highlights
better with the Panny sensor, at the expense of some contrast and clarity
among midrange values.  With either camera, it is trivially easy to open
shadows or tame highlights in PP.  I think that the E-400 is now my
reference camera for this.

Joel W.