Re: [OM] IMG: Santa Faz 2013

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Santa Faz 2013
From: "Nathan Wajsman" <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 15:49:59 +0200 (CEST)
Switzerland is very expensive, both in restaurants and in shops. I
remember when we lived there, to have a steak dinner (at home) was an
investment. Especially meat is very expensive.

$138 does sound like a lot, though, and leads me to believe that either
the restaurant was not that modest (as opposed to flashy, the Swiss are
into understated luxury) or that it was located in a resort. On the other
hand, $20 for dinner and wine at home sounds suspiciously cheap.

Cheers,
Nathan

Op Vr, 12 april, 2013 15:32, schreef Bob Whitmire:
> Only tangentially related, but I just read an article in a motorcycle
> touring magazine about a couple who rented a big BMW in Munich and set out
> for some time in Switzerland. They said they had to be very careful of the
> way in which they spent their money because of the value of Swiss
> currency. For example, they said a spaghetti dinner with a glass of wine
> each in a non-glitzy family restaurant set them back $138 US. But then
> they said they rented self-catering accommodations in small towns _close_
> to big attractions and did their shopping in grocery stores, cooking for
> themselves, and managed huge savings, i.e., $20 for dinner + wine.
>
> How can this be? If it's expensive in a family restaurant, why isn't it
> expensive at the grocery store as well? Or the accommodations? (One of the
> towns was Ponresina, close to St. Moritz, but with more family friendly
> prices.)
>
> --Inquiring minds
>

> On Apr 12, 2013, at 4:46 AM, SwissPace wrote:
>
>> Well I did my bit to help and have just bought a spanish built bike - BH
>> Neo Emotion (jumper) as seen on FB  and my wife may buy another model
>> from the same manufacturer at the weekend, plus you will see a huge rise
>> in the UK economy as I will visit shortly and have been ordering
>> landrover and bicycle bits :-)  and yes we do support the local economy
>> as well much more so than a lot of our swiss friends who buy from
>> Germany.
>>

>> On 12/04/2013 07:40, Chris Barker wrote:
>>> Thanks, Nathan.  Although less of a religious participation, I suspect
>>> that the fiesta serves a traditional purpose, to help comfort a
>>> community with problems.  I write this after hearing of  the dreadful
>>> rate of unemployment in Spain.
>>>
>>> And the sunshine will help to keep people cheerful . . .
>
> --

Nathan Wajsman
photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx