Re: [OM] Need some advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Need some advice
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 09:26:00 -0500
> Messed around with it a bit in LR, but didn't really get after it. The yellow
> seems to be there regardless, or maybe it's just my eyes. But to get shed of
> it completely wacks out the rest of the image.
>
> Wouldn't worry about it too much. Nice picture of friends. And like Philippe
> said, you can always go black & white.

Welcome to the world of the modern-day wedding photographer. Now that
we have cameras capable of shooting at ISO 204800, the temptation is
to go without flash in event coverage. When the D3 and D700 came out,
they instantly became the defacto standard cameras for wedding
photography. For good reason! However, this freedom has come at a huge
price. No flash, or low flash, has given us a mess with mixed
lighting.

There are a handful of photographers who will gel the flashes to match
the ambient lighting, and that's not bad of an idea in some
circumstances, but is definitely not a universal solution. When
shooting in low light levels, it's amazing the sources of light which
will screw up your color balances. My favorite sources are red fire
exit signs. Even the fire exit signs will cause you grief.

Is there a solution to this? Well, there are several solutions:

1. Convert to B&W. This was the common technique for the first two
seasons after the D3 and D700 came out. This resurgence in the black
and white look had less to do with intent and more to do with saving
the images.

2. Use more flash. There really is no substitute for controlling your
light with a known quantity AND quality.

3. Masking with color correction. See Moose mask. Mask Mask Mask.

4. In Lightroom and many editors, you can increase/decrease saturation
of one or more of the color channels. This is a WONDERFUL tool and
useful for most stuff. In fact, I'd say that this one feature, as
implemented in Lightroom, is worth the price of admission.

5. Selective color correction. This is different than masking, in a
way, but the end result is similar. Picture Window Pro probably has
the best implementation of this in any editor I've seen. In the
editor, click on a spot in the image that you want to color correct
and with the color disk, drag the arrow to the color you want it to
be.

6. Back to Lightroom, you can drop an adjustment point on the image
and fine tune the look for that point. It's a cross between masking
and PWP's selective color correction.

I believe that the most common method in 2013 for the wedding/event
photographer is the last one. That, and we've seen people start to go
back to controlling their own lighting.

Ken