Re: [OM] Comparing E-400 and E-410 Photos

Subject: Re: [OM] Comparing E-400 and E-410 Photos
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 16:35:55 -0500
On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 4:10 PM, Chuck Norcutt <
chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Nope, no more Krappy Kolor laptop.  I'm using my nicely calibrated 24"
> Dell IPS display. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.  If you do agree
> with the first statement you're agreeing that the images have no
> appreciable difference as I have also determined with my Dell display.

I agree that there is not much to choose from, but I like the E-400 better.
 The E-410 has slightly more contrast.  You can see that in the highlights
on the flower and the largish white blob in the upper left.

> In order for ACR to make them both look the same using the same settings
> the data it was given to work with must also be very similar.  That
> means that what was produced by the hardware/firmware is also basically
> the same.

Gotcha.  I'm glad to hear that.  I was wondering if an "auto-levels" kind
of feature (in this case Auto WB) could map two different color information
sets from two different sources to something that ends up looking pretty
similar to each other.  You're saying that it can't, and that it has to be
the hardware doing it?

> That also means that, if you do see differences in future
> images, it can only be the software processing the images or different
> settings in the camera firmware.

Yeah, I'm more concerned about how to use the E-410 in the future.  I
usually like to shoot using the camera's auto WB and then try different WB
presets in ACR.  The cameras produce a very different result when I do this
and work with the WB "as shot" in ACR.

Joel W.