Re: [OM] A piece of history from Southern Illinois

Subject: Re: [OM] A piece of history from Southern Illinois
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 09:31:32 -0400
Nice shot, nice bridge.  I've never known why these bridges were
covered.  I had always assumed that the entier structure formed a rigid
cage but just looked it up on Wiki and see that it's to protect the
wooden bridge structure from the elements.  The Wiki article also
pointed to covered bridges in New York.  It turns out there are 5 of
them in Ulster County where I used to live about 30 years ago.  I never
knew about any of them back then.

Chuck Norcutt