Re: [OM] A piece of history from Southern Illinois

Subject: Re: [OM] A piece of history from Southern Illinois
From: "Jim Nichols" <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 15:15:56 -0500
Hi Bill,

Funding was also a consideration.  The last time this topic came up, I
researched the reason for the James Creek bridge in north-east Mississippi.
In the 1800s, river travel was still popular.  Because the upper reaches of
the Tombigbee River in Mississippi were impassible, a stage route was
established from Columbus, MS, on the Tombigbee, to Iuka, MS, on the
Tennessee River.  This stage route went north through Monroe County and
provided the covered bridge across James Creek.

I rode a school bus across that bridge twice a day during my early school
years.

During my growing-up years in Mississippi, I recall news stories every few
years about a proposed Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway, to permit navigation
between the two rivers.  It was finally constructed, but traffic is very
light.  Another Congressional boondoggle!

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA