Re: [OM] The end of the spinning hard drive draws nigh...

Subject: Re: [OM] The end of the spinning hard drive draws nigh...
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 18:39:32 +0930
On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 07:07:44AM -0400, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> The end of the spinning hard drive draws nigh...
>
> Chuck Norcutt

The are much faster, but make sure you have a regular and reliable
backup plan (or maybe image ghosting would be a better idea), and hold
local spares if you can't stand any downtime. Despite the supposed lower
reliability of mechanical devices like HDDs, I have experienced a much,
much higher failure rate in flash devices.

Two failures this year already out of my local install base of maybe 25
devices;  one (near new) TF card in my phone, and one USB stick (both
were name-brand hardware).

davidt