[OM] The Joy of Backups

Subject: [OM] The Joy of Backups
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 12:07:04 -0500
A few of you may be aware of a massive hard drive failure that I had
in my mass storage device a couple years ago. Fortunately, I had most
of the critical stuff backed up on CDRoms as well as on my laptop.

Most.

But I lost about three years of digital images because of an issue
with the CDs themselves. The burner had issues and my own procedural
reliability was an issue. Basically, I had gotten sloppy.

Images that got published or printed were almost all kept because they
were also in my working drives, but the archival storage got wiped
out. So, there is a huge hole in my files from 2005 to 2008.
Particularily bothersome was the loss of my October 2005 trip to the
UP with Joel. Of the hundreds of photos taken, I only had three left.

I also lost a couple thousand scans, but fortunately, I still have the
RAW files of those. ;)

So, yesterday, I was working on the darkroom getting it ready for
production. As I was setting everything up I noted that I was missing
my timer! Through three moves, the boxes for the darkroom gear got
misdirected and about a third of the stuff was buried in the garage
some place. So, I had to go diving into the stacks of "stuff" that I
was rather afraid of. I think I could be cured of "hoarding" after
yesterday's adventure.

As I was digging, I found stuff that went missing due to the "stuff
the closets because company is coming over" routines that we went
through for a few years. This included all of the family pictures that
hadn't made it into albums for a half-dozen years. When you're
battling cancer, it's enough of a battle to survive much less try to
keep a house neat.

So, at some point, I encountered a stack of CDs that somehow wasn't
included in the safe-deposit box backup. Unlabeled, of course. It
turns out that these were the backups made during the trip itself! RAW
files only. I think these backups were made in Joel's laptop.
Fortunately, the reader in my desktop computer worked flawlessly and
all those images are now in the computer.

The timer? It was in the darkroom in a box that I had set next to the
sink a couple hours earlier and had set the easels on top of.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx