Re: [OM] The Joy of Backups

Subject: Re: [OM] The Joy of Backups
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 14:55:32 -0500
On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 11:49 AM, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Bond Falls and Presque Isle River, respectively.  Brings back a wonderful
> > memory.  We were very fortunately just in the weather than trip, let
> alone
> > the photos we got.  Those beat anything I brought back, so I'm sure glad
> > they weren't lost.
>
> Joel, you are too hard on yourself. Our problem is that we shoot at
> the same location, get about the same shots and then look at the other
> person's shots thinking that our own stink.

Ken, I still love myself.  I'm not the competitive one, remember?  I just
made a simple, descriptive statement that is, I believe, true.  Bear in
mind that none of us ultimately has the final say in the worth of his own
images, artistic or otherwise.  I am very happy with a work-a-day
competence and occasionally getting lucky.

I think you're the one who is hard on himself.  I'm the Horatio to your
Hamlet.

The weather, that trip, as well as the colors, was the best I've ever
> experienced in the UP. A simply amazing week. Remember when we went
> from the Porcupines down to Bond Falls and pulled off on that side
> road to the east? The colors in that side road excursion were
> eye-blowing beautiful. The color shot I just posted came from there, I
> think. I'll have to look at the surrounding shots, but I believe it
> was from that spot.
>
> Back to the Presque Isle River... I was working on a shot that didn't
> get uploaded because I couldn't get it to convert properly. There are
> several shots I may have to load into the E-1 and do an in-camera
> conversion. But It's a shot I got at the spot where I almost killed my
> E-1. My shots are great, but you ventured past the narrow spot and got
> even better shots. This year, I went past that spot, but almost had to
> do it on my hands and knees. Since I was using the OM gear, I kept it
> safely tucked inside the bag until I cleared the avalanche zone.

I took a little extra care at that location this last trip.  Here's Ken in
the place of destiny, along the Presque Isle:

Joel W.