Re: [OM] The Joy of Backups

Subject: Re: [OM] The Joy of Backups
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 19:55:18 -0400
The typical failure mode for aluminum CDs is corrosion from water vapor
and/or air getting through or around (at the edges) the thin lacquer
coating over the aluminum.  The aluminum oxidizes and take the bits with
it.  DVDs are better built (thick plastic layer, not lacquer) to
withstand that but are still susceptible.

Chuck Norcutt