Re: [OM] IMG: Bird Nest..Sort of

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Bird Nest..Sort of
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 19:27:25 -0400
I hate to take the attention away from your excellent image but your
subject heading reminded me immediately of a time some 30 years ago when
a bluejay couple was trying to build a nest in our front yard.  They
must have been a newly married teenage couple since their attempts and
failure to build a nest were both comical and a little sad.

The had chosen a young maple tree for the nest whose trunk diameter at
human head height was only about 6-7".  They tried to use the lowest
branch as the support.  It was only about 1" or so in diameter.  Every
time they would attempt to place a twig on the branch it would fall off
to the ground.  Rather than recover that twig and try again they would
fly off and return later with yet another twig.  After 3 or 4 days of
constant failure (they never got a single twig to stay on the branch)
they finally disappeared.  They must have been totally exhausted.  I've
always wondered if they were ultimately successful that year and, if
not, if they stayed mated until the next year and tried again.

OK, back to regularly scheduled glider programming.

Chuck Norcutt