Re: [OM] LR5 beta

Subject: Re: [OM] LR5 beta
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 09:39:13 -0400
Well, you don't _have_ to succumb. I'm not sure it's Satan, but I'm pretty sure
Loki is in there somewhere.

But as a long-time Aperture user, LR should be a piece of cake. I
unhesitatingly recommend to all who ask to forget Photoshop for the time being
and get the latest version of Lightroom. It's much less expensive, and does
everything most of us need to do, with some notable exceptions that one can
always take up later when one knows what one wants to do and why, and willingly
takes the plunge into CS-whatever.

I also recommend Scott Kelby's book on Lightroom (whichever version). While he
doesn't cover everything in the way, say, Martin Evening does, he covers
enough, and shows you how to do things in a "click here, slide there, enter
this setting" kind of way as you let you see the result of the operation
immediately, and furthermore, figure out how to adapt his instruction to your
own work. I know those books are a gold mine for him because now they probably
take about 15 minutes to do an updated version, but still . . . if you don't
know the software, they're a great place to start. I also recommend Martin
Evening's books if you want to dig in a little deeper, or if you like your
learning in a more encyclopedic manner.

Would that our own Andrew would write a book on Lightroom. If he resisted the
urge to sound reasonable, responsible and appeal to the broadest audience
possible, I'm sure it would be a thing of wonder. <wink>

--Bob