Re: [OM] (OT) Humerous

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Humerous
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 14:59:50 -0700
On 4/19/2013 8:41 PM, Daryl Hurley wrote:
> My Toshiba Thrive has an SD slot, USB, and HDMI.  I haven't tried an
> external hard drive with it, but if it is hooked up thru the USB it should
> work fine?  It uses thumb drives OK...

Thanks for the tip, Daryl.

Looks like it is the last of the tablet Mohicans, designed to work with
physical storage devices. The cloud is fine for
many uses. BUT, so may of the most scenic places don't even have cell coverage,
let alone 3-4G or WiFi.

(My sons wonder why we have a GPS, and don't just use map apps on the iPhone.
We were just out in rural Sonoma Co., not
out in the woods at all, recently when they failed. Even an app that's supposed
to have maps locally failed. When
traveling, we are often out of coverage. But Rhonda knows where we are.)

A full size USB port means it could also be used with a small reader to work
with CF or other card formats, if needed.
Reviews seem to indicate that it will power 2.5" external drives. If not, a two
headed USB cord, which I have, can get
power separately. I couldn't tell for sure, but it appears I may be able to
copy straight through it from SD card to ext
HD. That would be nice, when working from a 32 GB card and a 32 GB device. :-)

I read a couple of reviews, found a 32 GB refurb on Amazon for $245, and jumped
without fully thinking it through. I
think/hope it will do everything else I would like, too. I guess I'll start to
find out Tuesday.

G. A. S. Moose