Re: [OM] IMG: Eggs!

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Eggs!
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 20:34:34 -0400
I worked my way through college working in a meat-packing plant, usually
stripping the plastic casing from and stacking up hot dogs for packaging as
they came down a conveyor belt.  The USDA inspectors were there full-time.
 I once dropped a hot dog, still wrapped in its plastic casing, and picked
it up to strip the casing.  The inspector saw me and shut down the line,
halting production for the entire plant for two hours.  It's a wonder I
didn't get fired.  I still don't eat hot dogs unless I make them myself.  I
know too much about how they are made.

Tina

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 7:27 PM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 4/21/2013 7:52 AM, Chris Barker wrote:
> > Oh dear, Tina!
> >
> > Friends or colleagues of mine have no problem accepting our uninspected
> eggs.  Perhaps that lady should ask her customers if they minded them.
>
> You do not live in the US. To sell produce in violation of USDA rules is
> to invite being closed down.
>
> No matter whether the eggs were perfectly cleaned, inspection is
> mandatory, including candling. I've been in a huge egg
> packing operation, where every single egg is candled. Although not handled
> one at a time, they pass slowly over a bright
> back light to be viewed by a USDA inspector with both a little suction gun
> to pull out individual eggs and a button to
> stop the line. Yes, a few eggs failed inspection.
>
> Right or wrong, it's the law and the Feds are very strict about things
> like eggs and milk. That the center is so
> cognizant of this rule suggests that they may have already been warned of
> violation(s).
>
> Cheese it, Da Feds!  Moose
>
> --
> --