Re: [OM] Chinese Extensions ((IMGs)

Subject: Re: [OM] Chinese Extensions ((IMGs)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 21:04:28 -0700
On 4/21/2013 6:30 PM, Brian Swale wrote:
> I don't think you'd like to visit here.

What a pity, I've rather fancied the idea of a trip to the antipodes. :-)
Surely you don't want us to only visit those
savages in Oz?

At least I don't have to go looking for Gandalf in your mountains, as we
already have tickets to watch him here in a
Pinter play with Patrick Stewart in August.

> For a start you'd not get your head around the fact that we drive on the
> logical side of the road.

I've driven across London at Friday rush hour, full tilt, to meet an important
deadline. Didn't hit anyone, no close
encounters with Bobbies, just made the deadline.

>   Very poor wifi in the regions.

All the best places have poor or non-existent wireless communications. ;-)

> Winter is fast arriving - we have snow on the local tops since
> about 5 days ago. Our sense of humour ( where present) does not match
> 'murrican humour.

I'm not daft enough to come in winter. And I can survive without external humor
for a bit. :-)

> The sky is too blue. The air is too clear. The cattle (replacing sheep) are
> too many ....

Good heavens! What do you imagine it's like where we live? It's hilly, woodsy
and quiet at our house.  We do have deer,
raccoon, squirrels, skunk, possum, fox, turkeys, and many smaller birds instead
of sheep and cattle, though. I've not
seen a cougar in our immediate neighborhood, but others have, and I've seen a
coyote. The top of the hill we live on is
a series of large regional parks. I have seen a cougar there.

I've seen the Big Sky in Montana, and other empty places. If your skies are
bigger and bluer than that, well then I've
gotta visit, if only to see them.  When our skies aren't that blue, it's almost
always natural weather phenomena, like
the summer fog that keeps it from getting too hot.

We are out where the cell and Wi-Fi don't roam, the cattle and sheep outnumber
the people, and so on, at least once a
month, generally more often. It's little more than half an hour to the start of
that kind of country. Real wild country
isn't much further away.

> The cities are all in the north -

I'm not much of a fan of cities. One must put up with them on occasion, to
visit friends and relatives - and they have a
monopoly on the best museums. So we will again visit SF, Seattle, NY, Boston,
etc. Fortunately, a little effort usually
can turn up non urban spaces in or near them.

I know many people think cities are the point of travel; not I. All the places
on our rough list of places still to
visit in NA are far from big cities.

> (the largest deserves to be attached to a couple of large ocean-going tugs and
> towed out to the middle of the Pacific and anchored there permanently). ...

Not alone among the world's cities in that regard, I suspect. :-)

> WRITES NOTE TO SELF ( Don't comment on Moose's images - or maybe
> any images. Seemingly he can't restrain from slipping into lecturer mode.

It's a failing to which I admit. Well meant, I think, if not always well
accepted. The same tendency is there in person,
I'm afraid. Whenever I see someone putting down their own capabilities and
talents, and see that negativism as what's
getting in the way of the very achievement they say they want - well, I want
SOOOoooo much to be able to help,
encourage, provide information and resources, teach, whatever. I want everyone
to be happy - and successful, however
defined.

If what I intend as encouragement and helpful information comes across
differently, then I'm the one failing in
something important to me. I assure you I don't waste my efforts on those whom
I don't feel caring for, and wish the
best for.

 From the images you post, it seems to me that you are so damn close to what
you want to achieve ... Drat, there I go
again! ;-)

> Maybe he has missed his vocation and should be alongside Chris Crawford
> teaching photography.

Not where he teaches now. I'm not living somewhere that's still in B&W. ;-)
It wouldn't be photography, in any case.

> ) END OF NOTE. :-)
>
> Yes I did notice the Penlite shots. I long ago resolved I'd never buy one of
> those.  I need a view-finder.

Yes, I understand, LCDs are not for everyone. And those on the Pens are not the
best I've used. I was not intending to
tout them as something you might want, but pointing out that some of the images
that apparently impressed you were taken
with less than the latest, greatest cameras.

Thanks, Brian

Moose