Re: [OM] IMG: Lumber

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Lumber
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 11:37:24 -0400
Unfortunately, like most Central American countries, Honduras suffers from
de-forestation.  The general who is in charge of conservation is the owner
of the largest lumber company in Honduras - a slight conflict of interest.
 Many mountainsides have been denuded and suffer from severe erosion
causing many floods and devastation in rural communities.  Most of the huge
mahogany and cedar trees have already been harvested with all of the lumber
being sold to the USA.  Large plantations of Eucalyptus trees have been
planted but they are the worst possible trees for water conservation.  It's
a big problem in Honduras and Guatemala, too.

Tina

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 11:21 AM, ChrisB <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> A better reason might be that there is a) no reason to cultivate like
> that, or b) that the soil would not support it.
>
> Chris
>
> C M I Barker | 07989 987377 | 36 Mill Street | Gamlingay
>

> On 26 Apr 2013, at 16:16, "Bill Pearce" <billcpearce@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Having been to Honduras, I can tell you that this suggestion implies a
> level
> > of sophistication that doesn't exist there. I saw no evidence of any
> > commercial foresting there, only ancient forests, where plantains,
> coffee,
> > trees, monkeys and snakes grow in harmony. It is indeed a third world
> > country.
> --

Tina Manley, ASMP
www.tinamanley.com