Re: [OM] E-P5 soon.

Subject: Re: [OM] E-P5 soon.
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 13:12:20 -0500
> Since these are 4:3 ratio displays the E-M6/ VF4 should actually have the
> edge compared to the 2:3 sensors, if you choose to use the display for the
> entire frame ;-)

And that's the rub. The displays aren't used entirely for the image.
You have a choice with most of these EVFs in that you either overlay
everything on the image which makes composition impossible as you are
looking through two or three dozen icons floating on the screen, or
you have the data showing below the image area, but the image is
shrunk to give room for the data.

Ideally, the EVF should be used 100% exclusively for the image and
then there should be an additional display below the image area just
like every other DSLR.

Chances are we'll never get there, though, because the manufacturers
are convinced that we WANT the viewfinders to look like a bug and bird
poop splattered windshield because we keep buying cameras done this
way.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx