Re: [OM] IMG: Eggs!

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Eggs!
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 20:35:00 -0400
I didn't call him a liar or a con man.  Just at least a little suspect
since he stands to profit.  For his case, in particular, he was also
attacked for not disclosing financial ties on some of his government
funded research.  He has an explanation (I was naive) but it doesn't
ring very true.

You'll have to let us know the book is.  I decided to read the customer
reviews on Amazon.  There are many positive reviews but I was quite
surprised to see how many people seem to equate Dr. Ignarro's Nobel
Prize (a Brian did?) with *proof that taking his supplements lowers
cholesterol, blood pressure and reverses coronary artery disease.  The
3, 2 and 1 star ratings complain of the book being an overly long and
repetitive commercial for his supplement products and that it give no
indication of clinical research to verify his claims.

The most surprising review was a 2 star review which I expected to be
highly positive.  It's quite long so I've just extracted a few key
tidbits here:
"... The Science of NO would be the most important chapter, and provide
the mechanism and evidence to support these benefits. To my surprise, it
is the shortest chapter providing nothing but some statements and most
superficial account of NO. The book frequently uses selected
testimonials from NO supplement customers; this gives a strong
commercial taste.

I am wondering if some statements are backed by research data. For
example, a major claim of the book is that NO fights atherosclerosis,
but it does not provide any studies showing how NO does it.

The book cites many studies, but often omits important numbers. For
example, it mentions a small study of Mayo Clinic on the benefit of
L-arginine for coronary artery disease. It is disappointing, and
somewhat disturbing that the citation does not mention how significant
the improvement is (e.g. the percentage of disease reduction)..."

And the last kicker is the last sentence of this same review:
"Though I applaud Dr. Ignarro's effort to educate people about NO and
advocate fitness and balanced nutrition, I would not recommend this book
to anyone who does not tend to read critically."

Read critically, Brian.  Keep in mind that what's missing is verifiable
research that 1) any of this works 2) that it's not harmful.

I went over to PubMed <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed> to read some
papers on L-arginine and atherosclerosis but found 1252 of them and so
didn't get very far.  But I didn't find any magic in the 1/2 dozen that
I read. :-)

Chuck Norcutt