Re: [OM] A few more new ones up

Subject: Re: [OM] A few more new ones up
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 11:36:09 -0500
On 4/27/13 09:48 : , Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I would recommend much study, deliberation and multiple trips to the
> local astronomy club before investing in a telescope.  You already know
> you need to buy something that's not junk and (especially) that you need
> a clock drive.  It doesn't take much magnification at all before the
> rotation of the earth causes objects to rapidly sail through your very
> narrow field of view (if you can even find them in the first place).
>

> On 4/26/2013 12:40 PM, Paul Braun wrote:
>> I've always wanted to do some astrophotography, and my wife surprised me by
>> telling me that she's wanted a telescope since she was a little girl.
>>
>> Problem is, I know I won't use it heavily enough to spend a bunch of money
>> on one, but I also don't want to buy crap.  I just need something decent
>> with a tracking mount.  Maybe I should find the local astronomy club and
>> ask for recommendations.  Maybe someone's upgraded and has a decent used
>> scope for sale.
>>
>> -- Paul Braun
Thanks for the advice, Chuck.  A lot of when this will happen depends on
the Veterans' Administration.  We've got Sheri's mom in assisted living
now, and we've been covering the shortfall, which is killing us.  My
father-in-law (who I've never met - he passed away before I met my wife)
was a WWII Coast Guard vet, so she's entitled to benefits which will pay
for her rent.  However, they've been fighting us on this every step of
the way, and it's driving us crazy.  She's 94, obviously needs
assistance, and as a widow of a vet, she's 100% entitled to those
benefits.  They keep throwing complicated forms and options and more
options and followup options to the denials and ask if we have chosen a
VA representative to help us with our appeal.... WTF?????

--

Paul Braun
Certified Music Junkie

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life" - Harlan Howard