Re: [OM] E-P5 soon.

Subject: Re: [OM] E-P5 soon.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 19:51:07 -0700
On 4/26/2013 6:55 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> At 800x600 the EVF on the E-M5 is pretty good.  I suspect that the next
> generation (1024x768 ??) will be good enough

That isn't much of an increase, Might it have as much to do with marketing as
an improved viewing experience?

>   that I (not Moose) won't likely see the pixels.

I've never noticed the pixels @ 800x600. I'm looking through, at the subject.
Perhaps I could see them if I looked for
them, but that's never yet been where I'm focused.

I would prefer better reproduction of yellow, orange and red to increased
resolution. About the only time I notice I'm
not looking through a real reflex viewfinder is when those colors are
unexpectedly flat. Then, as yesterday, I'll pull
the camera away from my eye, see that the actual color is as I thought,
remember that it's a characteristic of the EVF,
take the shot, and forget about that issue for the rest of the day.

I didn't like early EVFs on compacts, dim, grainy enough that it was hard to
see focus and they tore terribly with
motion. Just as I was notoriously accepting of 'terrible' viewfinders on DSLRs,
that on the E-M5 is just fine with me.

I recently took a lot of shots with the viewfinder never really sharp, but
chimped a few shots, and they were OK, so I
shrugged for the time being and went on. I can even MF that way, simply focus
peaking, even if it's never apparently
very good.

Later, I recalled the diopter adjustment, and yes, it have got moved. Wow,
suddenly the viewfinder was so sharp! It
appears I may not be the guy to ask ...

> I suspect that at least I will find the
> generation beyond that (1440x1080 ??) as superior to any optical finder.
>    Even the E-M5's finder is already superior to optical finders in many
> ways.

Waaaaay better than the useless pieces of junk on various compacts, like the
Canon G series.

I Can See Clearly Now Moose