Re: [OM] IMG: Cedar Rust

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Cedar Rust
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 00:34:01 +1200
Tina wrote
> PESO:
>
> It started to rain yesteday afternoon, after we had finished planting 75
> tomato plants!  The rain brings out the cedar rust on all of the cedar
> trees around here:

> The cedar rust sends out spores that infect the apple trees with a fungus.
>  The only cure is to cut down all of the cedar trees within a 4 mile
> radius.  We plan to cut the ones on our farm but will have to spray the
> apple trees to prevent the fungus from other cedar trees from infecting
> them :-(  There are cedar resistent apple trees, but they aren't totally
> successful in the face of this much rust!!
>
> It's the weirdest looking stuff I've ever seen and I had never seen it
> before we moved here.
>
> C&C and suggestions greatly appreciated!

You are between a rock and a hard place with that lot. The Ustilaginales (
smut of rust fungi) contain some of the most economically problematic fungi
that interact with food production. The host tree you photographed is
Juniperus virginiana.
Here is an excellent database on the whole matter
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnosporangium_juniperi-virginianae

Hope that helps.

My expensive 1950 textbook : "Morphology and Taxonomy of Fungi" by E A
Bessey is still pretty good.

Brian Swale