Re: [OM] Phone Photo Apps

Subject: Re: [OM] Phone Photo Apps
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2013 20:11:15 -0400
No humerous statements from me.  My wife and I have only had dumb phones
until a couple weeks ago.  Our previous phones were dumb Verizon Samsung
phones with a Verizon "senior" plan that was costing us about $75 month.
  That gave us a shared 450 minutes/month and I had all text messaging
and data disabled.  Text was disabled since the only text messages I
ever got were spam and each one cost me 10 cents.  Ugh!  The phones
actually had (I think) 1.3MP cameras.  Unfortunately, there was no way
to retrieve an image for viewing on another device other than sending it
to Verizon (at high data rates) where it could be retrieved and downloaded.

Two weeks ago we decided to switch to Comsumer Cellular's AARP plan.
The savings are rather dramatic.  Since we only use the cell phones
while traveling or to call each other once in a while (stop at the
market on your way back and get some eggs) we were only averaging less
than 50 minutes/month.  We can get a Consumer Cellular plan with 150
shared minutes/month (no text or data) for about $30/month.  The charge
is $10/month for two phones + $15/month for 150 minutes (minus a 5% AARP
discount).  That comes to $23.75 + whatever the taxes and fees turn out
to be.  Verizon was charging me about 30% thus my guess of about
$30/month overall.  Quite a difference.

Although were were averaging less than 50 minutes/month there were two
months in the past year when we were traveling that we hit about 150 and
200 minutes/month.  150 is still within the plan limits and, if I went
50 minutes over it would cost me 50x23.75 cents/minute = $11.88.
Nothing to worry about.

Since we stand to save over $500/year on our cell phone bill I decided
to take $250 of that and get us a couple of Huawei Android phones.  Mine
was $150 and hers was $100.  We don't plan to use the cell phone data
network at all but the phones do have wi-fi.  We expect that to be
useful when traveling and stopped at a restaurant, etc. which has free
wi-fi service... Google search, maps, GPS, etc.  They also have micro SD
cards and USB connectors so we can easily download the photos from the
3.2 MP cameras.  Nothing to write home about there but plenty good
enough to take a shot of something seen in the store to show the other.
  Being Android devices they operate similarly to my Google Nexus 7 tablet.

Chuck Norcutt (now semi-modern)