Re: [OM] Phone Photo Apps

Subject: Re: [OM] Phone Photo Apps
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 07:00:34 +0200
Once you experience the joy of the features provided by your new phone you will
wonder how you ever lived without it. I love the fact that I can take a snap
and have it on Facebook immediately so my children know that I am in Stuttgart
right now (and why do they need to know? - well, maybe they don't but it is
nice to keep in touch). On at least one occasion I have transferred money to my
son in England using my iPhone when I had no computer available; and it is
soooo nice to walk around a city and never be lost thanks to the map on the
iPhone.

I don't even know the number of my landline by heart.

Cheers,
Nathan

On 2 May 2013, at 02:11, Chuck Norcutt wrote:

> No humerous statements from me.  My wife and I have only had dumb phones
> until a couple weeks ago.  Our previous phones were dumb Verizon Samsung
> phones with a Verizon "senior" plan that was costing us about $75 month.
>  That gave us a shared 450 minutes/month and I had all text messaging
> and data disabled.  Text was disabled since the only text messages I
> ever got were spam and each one cost me 10 cents.  Ugh!  The phones
> actually had (I think) 1.3MP cameras.  Unfortunately, there was no way
> to retrieve an image for viewing on another device other than sending it
> to Verizon (at high data rates) where it could be retrieved and downloaded.
>
> Two weeks ago we decided to switch to Comsumer Cellular's AARP plan.
> The savings are rather dramatic.  Since we only use the cell phones
> while traveling or to call each other once in a while (stop at the
> market on your way back and get some eggs) we were only averaging less
> than 50 minutes/month.  We can get a Consumer Cellular plan with 150
> shared minutes/month (no text or data) for about $30/month.  The charge
> is $10/month for two phones + $15/month for 150 minutes (minus a 5% AARP
> discount).  That comes to $23.75 + whatever the taxes and fees turn out
> to be.  Verizon was charging me about 30% thus my guess of about
> $30/month overall.  Quite a difference.
>
> Although were were averaging less than 50 minutes/month there were two
> months in the past year when we were traveling that we hit about 150 and
> 200 minutes/month.  150 is still within the plan limits and, if I went
> 50 minutes over it would cost me 50x23.75 cents/minute = $11.88.
> Nothing to worry about.
>
> Since we stand to save over $500/year on our cell phone bill I decided
> to take $250 of that and get us a couple of Huawei Android phones.  Mine
> was $150 and hers was $100.  We don't plan to use the cell phone data
> network at all but the phones do have wi-fi.  We expect that to be
> useful when traveling and stopped at a restaurant, etc. which has free
> wi-fi service... Google search, maps, GPS, etc.  They also have micro SD
> cards and USB connectors so we can easily download the photos from the
> 3.2 MP cameras.  Nothing to write home about there but plenty good
> enough to take a shot of something seen in the store to show the other.
>  Being Android devices they operate similarly to my Google Nexus 7 tablet.
>
> Chuck Norcutt (now semi-modern)
>

> On 5/1/2013 2:50 PM, Bill Pearce wrote:
>> I don't have any favorites 'cause I have a dumb phone.
>>
>> (now time for your humerous statements about me having a dumb phone.)
> --

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain
http://www.frozenlight.eu