Re: [OM] LR vs. Aperture image sizes [was LR5 beta}

Subject: Re: [OM] LR vs. Aperture image sizes [was LR5 beta}
From: "philippe.amard" <philippe.amard@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 22:31:52 +0200
Le 2 mai 13 à 22:19, Chris Barker a écrit :

> Or it shows a rough preview first while it generates a better one;
> the pop is the better preview arriving in view.

To get back to the original remark i.e. pixel loss on the edges of a
raw due to converter, I reacted to the information that was new to me
(loss) thinking it had to do with my own problem regarding pop and
sort of focal adjustment, I don't mean focus, I mean distortion and
size, just like a slide.
Of all the cameras I've tried this is in fact a first with the x10,
which must be a standard bayer and not an Xmos, go figure :-(

> In Aperture you can set the max size of the previews, to save time
> if necessary.

Same in LR

thanks Chris

Ph

> Chris
>
> On 2 May 2013, at 20:38, Chuck Norcutt
> <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Just a very wild guess but I hypothesize that the 1/2 second delay is
>> due to virtual memory paging activity.  LR is trying to do something
>> that requires more real memory than is available.  It gets put on
>> hold
>> while the OS frees more memory by paging something else out to disk.
>> Then LR suddenly has the processor back with the real memory it needs
>> and can run at full speed... pop... it's suddenly on the screen.
>> Sounds
>> good to me because PhotoShop (and LR too?) has been known for many
>> years
>> to be a memory hog.
>
> --

to the eye. Antoine de Saint Exupéry in Le Petit Prince.
NO ARCHIVE