Re: [OM] Abandoned house in Adams County

Subject: Re: [OM] Abandoned house in Adams County
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2013 11:22:14 -0700
> Note that the house wrap is an air barrier and not a moisture barrier.
> The moisture barrier is on the inner wall and usually as the outer layer
> of the insulation.
Typically well constructed new homes use some combination of rigid
panel, unfaced batts or blown in insulation. Then the entire interior
wall/ceiling is covered with 4mil poly vapor barrier with all
penitrations taped and sealed. The idea is to prevent warm, moist air
from contacting and condensing on a cold exterior membrane.

On the exterior a mesh about 1/4" or so thick is applied over the house
wrap which creates an air space between the sheathing and the siding.

Note: this is for a winter heating climate with minor AC load in the
summer. Typical of the western US. Other climes require a different
approach.

Chris, Could be an interesting history there. I like the second photo
better. Obviously and old house that was upgraded recently and then
abandoned.

Mike