Re: [OM] IMG: Eggs! (long, but worth reading)

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Eggs! (long, but worth reading)
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 May 2013 06:52:43 +1200
Ken wrote;
> > This book has most of the USA-writing characteristics that I detest -
> > such as treating such a subject as a thrill-seeking detective novel,
> > with eye-catching sub-chapter headings, multiple shaded text boxes and
> > the like. However, I got over that because the actual content more than
> > made up for it.
>
> Hmm. Pattern #2: Only in non-peer-reviewed writings do
> doctors/researchers get away with using anecdotal evidence instead of
> full-blown scientific studies which reveal the results for AND against the
> desired outcome of the study.

 It is common in the cases of books written for the "public"  for publishers to
disallow detailed scientific references. The publishers seem to think that
such will put people off buying. I have found this when writing a book on
forestry.
Just because the references aren't quoted doesn't mean that the statements
are false.

> > He does not limit his advice to L-argenine and L-citrulline, and
> > includes recommendations for other supplements, with detailed reasons.
>
> Hmm. Pattern #4: Expert in everything because he's an expert in one thing.

Unreasonable criticism. If Ag Schnozz can be such a whizz at devising
telecom etc networks, surely a Nobel Prize winner can be ( in fact will need
to be) expert in a range of related topics.

The book is easily available, and cheap in the USA, used or overstocked.
http://www.bookfinder.com
ISBN 0312335814
$2 plus postage

Why don't you buy a copy?