Re: [OM] Rotterdam

Subject: Re: [OM] Rotterdam
From: Dharma Singh <dharmasingh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 01:10:58 +0200
No problem with the shots, they are wonderful.
I only must correct you on the monument:

Your photogragh of the monument on the Boompjeskade, near the Erasmus
Bridge on the River Meuse is the National Merchant Marine Memorial.
The memorial bears the nickname "the bow" because it shows a bow that cuts
through the waves. It was designed by Frederico Carasso and it was on 10
april 1957 unveiled by Princess Margriet.
The monument is 45 meters high and made of steel and stone. In 1965, there
is a sculpture of five seamen attached to the memorial. The memorial is
placed in memory of all allied seamen who died during the Second World War.

The memorial, made by Ossip Zadkine in 1953, commemorating the bombardment
of Rotterdam on 14 May 1940  is made of bronze and about 6 metres tall.
The statue is named “The Destroyed City".

De verwoeste
stad<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:De_verwoeste_stad/Rotterdam>