Re: [OM] Rotterdam

Subject: Re: [OM] Rotterdam
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 May 2013 21:00:10 -0700
On 5/4/2013 4:23 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> It looks similar to what's commonly called the "Bunker Hill Bridge" in
> Boston and the Sunshine Skyway bridge across the entrance to Tampa Bay

Both similar to the Penobscot Narrows bridge near Bucksport Maine,
<http://www.visitmaine.com/attractions/sightseeing_tours/historic_and_unique_bridges/penobscot_narrows_bridge/>

And undoubtedly similar to many other bridges.

The significant difference is that these others, although they use the newish
method of direct suspension, are
traditional in using two towers in a symmetrical design, with cable anchorages
on both ends.

The Swan is of a less common, asymmetric, single tower design, with all
suspended roadbed on one side of the tower and
single anchorage on the other. And a rather graceful one.

The replacement of the SF-Oakland Bay Bridge eastern span is also a single
tower design, and asymmetric, but  with
suspended roadbed on both sides. I believe the asymmetric design is to take
advantage of the furthest East solid rock in
which to anchor the tower.
<https://www.google.com/search?q=san+francisco+bay+bridge&client=firefox-a&hs=KFr&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=mdSFUdOrJIOsjALelICgDA&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1431&bih=957#imgrc=58LNT8_w5EMAPM%3A%3BqdeAJK1OuII9PM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.mtc.ca.gov%252Fimages%252FSFOBB_East_Span.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.mtc.ca.gov%252Fplanning%252Fbay_bridge%252F%3B2000%3B1332>

The main cable is unusual, in that is it one big loop, going through the tower
twice and under each end of the roadbed.
Most suspension designs have at least one end of the cable(s) anchored on land,
hence this bridge is called
self-anchored. Scheduled to open at the end of Labor Day weekend, this year.

The western span is really a pair of traditional two tower suspension bridges,
with a massive shared central anchorage.

A Bridge Quite Near Moose