Re: [OM] So the geek in me...

Subject: Re: [OM] So the geek in me...
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 20:57:42 -0500
> Well a bit of an overstatement for effect but the less dense CFA does
> have consequences. Canyon even admitted to using these less dense
> filters to gain better high ISO performance when the OM 5DII came out
> but quickly removed the comment. They adjust in processing of course
> but it isn't a panacea in all circumstances.

Yes, a little bit of overstatement for effect. However, these days,
the playing field is pretty level. However, one only needs to look at
Robert A's pictures to see where the Leica and Phase One equipment is
producing images of different looks than the Canons. When you use the
less dense CFAs, you do end up with an effective reduction in bit
depth or color gammut. You will never realize it because the camera's
internal processing engine is remapping bits (and here people thought
that the cameras only did that for internal JPEG files). Overall, I'm
satisfied with what I am seeing from the 5Dmk3 and 6D. I am satisfied
with the 7D, actually, and these two new camera seem to better the 7D
without losing the improvements seen in the skintones. Canons today
are very much different than they were ten years ago. You don't have
to travel very far to find dyed-in-the-wool Canon fanatics who will
lament just how bad the color was in their early cameras. These same
people were totally blind to it back then because they convinced
themselves that it was great.

> Will AG be tempted by the upcoming FF NEX?  My prediciton is Nah---poor
> ergonomics and too much like operating a consumer electronic gizmo
> rather than a proper cam.  Focusing peaking on  FF sensor with   EVF
> for Zuikos very attractive though.

Well, hold on here. Is there a FF NEX today? No. Is there any promise
of a FF NEX this year? No. At some point, I will buy a camera and when
I do, I will buy the best one available for the price point I want to
spend that doesn't creep me out. The 6D isn't an exciting camera, but
it is a solid camera, with outstanding features, price and
performance. If Canon hadn't skyrocketed the price on the 5Dmk3, I'd
be looking at that camera instead.  I'm VERY interested in a FF NEX,
and if the features/price/performance are anywhere near the 6D, I'd be
hard pressed to not get it. But, the 6D actually does exist. The FF
NEX doesn't. By the time I actually BUY a camera, it very well might
exist. I just would have to deal with the agony of being a Sony owner
and still looked down upon. At least with Canon, I won't get snubbed
at the scenic turnouts.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx