Re: [OM] About nothing at all

Subject: Re: [OM] About nothing at all
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 09:36:03 +1000
These are all illegal, no?
If the police enforce them, they will get cyclists to behave.
It took 3-5 years to get every cyclist here to wear a helmet but now it's
second nature. I can remember the process well as the school I was at had a
strict policy - if a student turned up without helmet, the bike was 'clamped'
and the parent called to pick up their child at the end of the day and/or bring
a helmet. One saved my son's life last year and I have a brother-in-law's
brother in France having to relearn how to speak, walk, feed himself at the
moment because he wasn't wearing one. It was a similar shift with seat belts -
I'd feel vulnerable without one now but it was a slow shift.
There was one amusing problem in Melbourne recently. The city council put in
'rent a bicycle' stations around the city - take one here, return it there,
minimal charge. Cost quite a bit. Unfortunately it was illegal to actually use
one as there was no provision for helmets - you had to bring your own and of
course, no one had thought to do that. Those bicycles aren't getting much use!
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.soultheft.com
Author/Publisher: The SLR Compendium - http://www.blurb.com/books/3732813