Re: [OM] A Tribute to my Father

Subject: Re: [OM] A Tribute to my Father
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2013 23:30:18 -0500
On 5/8/13 22:33 : , DZDub wrote:
> On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 7:01 PM, Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Please remind yourself of this photo first, then read the rest if you're
>> so inclined. Thank you.
>>
>> http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=5206
>
> I lost my dad in 2004.  You have my condolences.  I'm glad he died of
> something other than cancer, though that is probably a silly thing to
> consider in the scheme of things, but congestive heart failure was
> deceiving at times and one could leave things unsaid to the next time until
> there was no next time.  You did it right, Paul.  I think if could have
> taken as wonderful a portrait of my dad as you did of yours, it would have
> made a huge difference to me.
Thanks.  Even I was surprised at how nicely that turned out. Natural
light from the side windows at Olive Garden, combined with some
incandescent from overhead.  LR did the rest.  At this point, back in
February, he was still more mobile and, although the photo shows the
effects of age, several surgeries, and the ravages of cancer and chemo,
there's still a twinkle in his eyes.  He humored me when I said I've got
my camera and I'm not afraid to use it - I wanted to make sure I got
some good photos while I still had the chance.
> I became an officer in our local Phi Beta Kappa chapter in the course of
> the last year.  We inducted 60 new members last Sunday.  It was the first
> occasion in over 20 years in which I've needed to wear academic garb.  I
> lost my academic gown and doctoral hood in 1993 because of a flood.  My dad
> had had a gown and hood from a time when he received an honorary doctorate.
>   My brothers thought I should have them after he passed, so I wore them
> last Sunday.   I think he would have been happy about that.  There will be
> things like that in the future for you, too.  He will never be far from you.

That's wonderful, Joel.  What a great gift.  Since my dad was a veteran,
there will be American Legion honors after the wake, and he will travel
back home to Chicago under an American Flag.  Tradition dictates that
the flag is folded and given to the surviving spouse and, in the event
that the spouse preceeded in death, the flag goes to the oldest child.
That's me.  However, my wife and I have the flag from her father's
funeral hanging on the wall in a flag frame, so I said that my brother
could have it if he wishes.  He suggested that I present it to my nephew
instead, which I will be honored to do.  Sam's a good kid, and loved his
grandpa.

--

Paul Braun
Certified Music Junkie

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life" - Harlan Howard