Re: [OM] About nothing at all

Subject: Re: [OM] About nothing at all
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 15:08:52 +1000
Yes it does because otherwise they'll be lane hopping or getting impatient -
both recipes for disaster. The nominal speed limit on a British motorway is
70mph but the fast lane always seems to be doing at least 80 and apart from
peak hours close to large cities, it all seems to go smoothly too by our
standards. You can get around the UK and France very quickly on the two and
three lane motorways and arterial roads. The speed limit on the French
autoroutes is 130kph (110 in rain) and the standard fast lane speed seems to be
around 150. That's what I usually do while keeping in the middle lane and
watching all the big black Audis and Mercs crusising past me. I don't know what
the accident and fatality rates are there but I've never had a scare or seen a
serious accident on the autoroutes.
Here we have that imprecation "Keep left unless overtaking" which no-one seems
to take any notice of. There you tend to keep out of the fast lane altogether
unless you are passing.
Of course, French city driving and parking is quite another matter! An entirely
different skill set.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.soultheft.com