Re: [OM] About nothing at all

Subject: Re: [OM] About nothing at all
From: Donald <d1956m198d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2013 13:48:36 +0100
On 09/05/2013 12:51, philippe.amard wrote:
> Spped is one factor here alright.
> Too many foreigners crossing the country another one including
> overloaded SUVs, caravans packed with Dutch beer, Lituanian, Polish,
> Spanish, Italian or whatever lorries/trucks, etc..
> But the worst of the worst comes from alcohol and drugs as regards the
> natives.
> I won't refer to the elderly as I intend to become one of them,
> Mercury permitting.
>
> I agree that Britain is a pleasure to drive in,
> so long have you think that eternity is on your side ;-)

I have mixed feelings reading this thread. I'm weeks away from driving
on my own down to Nice for the ferry across to Calvi, Corsica. I'm
taking the Tunnel, so will drive down to Folkstone first.

I'm looking forward to getting to France, because I absolutely detest
driving 'dahn saff'. And I have to go round the west side of the big
smoke on the M25. Yuk.

I read a French article many moons ago about casualties, the writer
seemed to be saying that although there were no more accidents per
kilometre, French fatalities were higher because of the speed. I have no
idea if that was true at the time or not, it was in the 90s, and there
were figures and stuff. We only ever buy the odd newspaper (other than
l'Equipe), it might have been in a weekend magazine.

But I always feel safer abroad, so far. Even locally, the number of
inattentive drivers and the sloppiness of the roadcraft can be pretty
scary. Not to mention the annoyance of not using indicators, not using
indicators until the last moment, off-side tailgating where there is no
remote possibility of safe overtaking... the list is endless. And
Larbert is a car park. 24/7.

Oh well. Six weeks or so to go...

D.

--